INVOVLD is now owned and operated by Boston University College of Communication
INVOVLD is a smartphone application designed to gives its users the ability to access the viability of a candidate or fellow users’ solutions to problems facing America and the world. It is a platform designed for you, the user, to get involved in solving our problems and by connecting to you to both the candidates and other users. The solutions you post will not be kept private. Your personal data that is shared with INVOLVD in order to participate in our platform will be kept private.
1. INFORMATION WE COLLECT AND USE
We collect personal information from you in order to provide you and the other INVOLVD users with a successful engagement with the INVOLVD platform. The categories of information we collect can include:
1. Basic information you provide that we need to set up your INVOVLD account, such as:
- We may collect and store personal information you enter in our Service or provide to us in some other manner, including your name, email address, password, and location.
- We may also collect any communications between you and INVOVLD, as well as any information you provide if you take part in any interactive features of the Service. Some information that is part of your profile or the solutions you post will be viewable to the public.
- We may also collect your public Facebook and/or Twitter profile information, as well as email address, depending on which, or both, social methods you use to register, login and/or share through.
2. Data collected through the use of INVOVLD:
- We also collect information about how you use the Service and about your actions on the Service, including the user content you post to the site including your viability votes and the solutions you post.
- Information we receive from social networking sites. When you interact with our site through various social media, such as when you login through Facebook, or share INVOLVD content on Facebook, Twitter, or other sites, we may receive information from the social network including your profile information, profile picture, gender, user name, user ID associated with your social media account, age range, language, country, friends list, and any other information you permit the social network to share with third parties. The data we receive is dependent upon your privacy settings with the social network, and we will not post information about you on third party social media sites without your consent. You should always review, and if necessary, adjust your privacy settings on third-party websites and services before linking or connecting them to our website or Service.
3. From time to time, we may send you friendly email updates and push notifications to inform you to new information posted on INVOLVD. We use this information to operate, maintain, and provide to you the features and functionality of the Service, as well as to communicate directly with you, such as to send you email messages and push notifications, and permit you to communicate with others on the Service or on social media or invite others to join the Service.
We may also send you Service-related emails or messages (e.g., account verification, donation confirmations, change or updates to features of the Service, technical and security notices). For more information about your communication preferences, see “Your Choices Regarding Your Information” below.
4. We employ commonly-used Internet technologies like cookies to help remember you and to personalize and improve your experience on INVOVLD. We automatically collect certain types of usage information when you visit our website or use our Service. When you visit the Service, we may send one or more cookies — a small text file containing a string of alphanumeric characters — to your computer that uniquely identifies your browser and lets us help you log in faster and enhance your navigation through the site. A cookie may also convey information to us about how you use the Service (e.g., the pages you view, the links you click, how frequently you access the Service, and other actions you take on the Service), and allow us to track your usage of the Service over time. We may collect log file information from your browser or mobile device each time you access the Service. Log file information may include anonymous information such as your web request, Internet Protocol (“IP”) address, browser type, information about your mobile device, referring / exit pages and URLs, number of clicks and how you interact with links on the Service, domain names, landing pages, pages viewed, and other such information. We may employ clear gifs (also known as web beacons) which are used to anonymously track the online usage patterns of our Users. In addition, we may also use clear gifs in HTML-based emails sent to our users to track which emails are opened and which links are clicked by recipients. The information allows for more accurate reporting and improvement of the Service. We may also collect analytics data, or use third-party analytics tools, to help us measure traffic and usage trends for the Service and to understand more about the demographics of our users. These tools collect information sent by your browser or mobile device, including the pages you visit, your use of third party applications, and other information that assists us in analyzing and improving the Service. Although we do our best to honor the privacy preferences of our visitors, we are not able to respond to Do Not Track signals from your browser at this time.
When you access our Service by or through a mobile device, we may receive or collect and store a unique identification number associated with your device or our mobile application (including, for example, a UDID, Unique ID for Advertisers (“IDFA”), Google Ad ID, or Windows Advertising ID), mobile carrier, device type, model and manufacturer, mobile device operating system brand and model, phone number, and, depending on your mobile device settings, your geographical location data, including GPS coordinates (e.g. latitude and/or longitude) or similar information regarding the location of your mobile device.
We use or may use the data collected through cookies, log file, device identifiers, location data and clear gifs information to: (a) remember information so that you will not have to re-enter it during your visit or the next time you visit the site; (b) provide custom, personalized content and information, including targeted content and advertising; (c) provide and monitor the effectiveness of our Service; (d) monitor aggregate metrics such as total number of visitors, traffic, usage, and demographic patterns on our website and our Service; (e) diagnose or fix technology problems; and (f) otherwise to plan for and enhance our service.
2. SHARING INFORMATION
We’re building a platform to engage citizens in the practice of democracy. As part of that platform we are creating the tools for users to engage with each other which, by its nature, will allow users to see the actions of other community members including your name and photo. Your actions on the Service will be available publicly to other users on the Service and some of this information may be searchable by search engines.
We may share your personal information in the instances described below. For further information on your choices regarding your information, see the “Your Choices Regarding Your Information” section below. Remember, our Service allows you to connect and interact with others. Your profile information, including your name, photo, and other personal information, will be available publicly to other members of the Service by default when you interact with others on the Service, such as by posting a solution. This information may be available to the public and may be searchable by search engines, which may display certain parts of your personal information publicly.
We may also share your personal information with:
1. The public and other members of the Service. When you interact with others on the Service, your profile information and other information including the positions you take, the reasons you provide, and the campaigns you create and interact with, will be viewable by others on the Service, and may be searchable by search engines, so please do not provide personal information you would not want to be public.
2. Campaigns with whom you interact on our Service. We may share your personal information with a campaign when a solution you proposed is received by a campaign and they request the ability to engage with you directly about your solution.
3. Please remember that INVOVLD does not have an obligation to monitor or verify User Content or campaign content that is posted to the Service. Sharing information with others on our platform is done at your own risk.
4. Third parties at your request. For example, you may have the option to share your activities on INVOLVD with your friends through email, text or on various social media sites.
5. Third party vendors, consultants and other service providers that perform services on our behalf, in order to carry out their work for us to ensure the functionality of INVOLVD.
6. Third parties as required to (i) satisfy any applicable law, regulation, subpoena/court order, legal process or other government request, (ii) enforce our Terms of Service Agreement, including the investigation of potential violations thereof, (iii) investigate and defend ourselves against any third party claims or allegations, (iv) protect against harm to the rights, property or safety of INVOVLD, its users or the public as required or permitted by law and (v) detect, prevent or otherwise address criminal (including fraud or stalking), security or technical issues.
We may also share information with others in an aggregated and anonymous form that does not reasonably identify you directly as an individual.
3. YOUR CHOICES REGARDING YOUR INFORMATION
SUMMARY: Your choice regarding your information. There are options in your profile settings. Please explore the Settings and make sure to save your preferences.
Profile and Data Sharing Settings. You may change some of your data sharing preferences on your Settings page. For example, you may mark your profile as private so that your activity is not shown to the public, though some of your information will still be viewable by others on the Service.
SUMMARY: Data retention. You can delete your account at any time by choosing the Delete option in your Settings. When you delete your account, your posts and activity history will be deleted. We will retain your information for as long as your account is active or as needed to provide you services. You may deactivate your account in your profile settings. Please contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org if you wish to delete your INVOVLD account permanently from our systems.
While we will use all commercially reasonable efforts to delete or anonymize your User Content upon request, please be aware that due to the social nature of our Service, you may not be able to completely remove all of your personally identifiable User Content if, for example, that content has been stored, republished, or reposted by another user or a third party. We may also maintain your information in identifiable form for our internal use, even if your personal data is no longer visible to the public on our Service.
4. SECURITY AND STORAGE OF INFORMATION
Security: INVOVLD takes security seriously. If you notice any suspicious activity in your account, please report it to INVOLVD at email@example.com. INVOVLD takes physical and technological steps to safeguard the integrity and security of your information. We cannot, however, guarantee with 100% certainty our ability to absolutely protect your information as no system is 100% secure.
In the event that any information under our control is compromised as a result of a breach of security, we will take reasonable steps to investigate the situation and where appropriate, notify those individuals whose information may have been compromised and take other steps, in accordance with any applicable laws and regulations. Your information collected through the service will be stored and processed in the United States.
5. PERSONS UNDER THE AGE OF 13
The Service and its content are not directed at children under the age of 13. In the event that we learn that we have collected personal information from a child under age 13 without parental consent, we will delete that information as quickly as possible. If you believe that we might have any information collected from a child under 13, please contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org
for INVOVLD to have that information removed.
6. LINKS TO THIRD PARTY WEBSITES
7. UPDATES TO THIS POLICY
8. CONTACTING US
If you have questions about this Policy, please contact us at email@example.com or by writing to us at:
College of Communication
640 Commonwealth Ave
Boston, MA 02215
9. LAST REVISION DATE
This Policy was last revised on, and effective as of, July 20, 2016